When applying to study a Masters in Architecture, students are required to submit a portfolio of work which showcases their creative, technical and professional ability.
What to include in a portfolio
Your portfolio should consist of no more than 30 high-quality images, with some sketch work to show how your ideas have developed. Make sure you can show evidence of variations in work, including colour and technique, with the displayed work clearly demonstrating creativity, imagination and technical ability. You should include:
- Cover page: It should have your name and qualification
- Content page: This page should contain an index
- Degree certificate: On the right page, include a copy of your degree
- CV: A one page CV displaying your work experience, skills, project take, field trips, courses, etc.
- Personal statement: On a single page, write a personal statement of no more than 500 words
Tip: You can send all these documents separately as well but it’s best to ask your university their requirement
Top tips for architecture portfolio
- Write less, more visual representation: What professors are looking for is your eligibility to attend the program through your past work. So when making a portfolio, make sure there are more images displaying your abilities rather than written words giving long explanations.
- Keep it short and simple: The portfolio should consist of your best work, so include the best work in the first few pages and don’t add anything which is not relevant. Keeping it simple means, choose quality over quantity. Even if the portfolio consists of 10 images, make sure they are of top quality with a white background and are easy to understand.
- Use technology: When making a digital portfolio there is more than one option. You can also make a video in .avi, .mov, or Quicktime format. Even better is, if you have a dedicated website to yourself. Not only will that be an added advantage in showing your work but also getting more work in the future.
Study Architecture in the UK
If you are seeking admission in the architecture programmes in the UK, arrange a free consultation or visit SI-UK India today.