People are the biggest asset or resource of any organisation and the effective management of people is crucial to the smooth functioning of any enterprise. Human Resource Management (HRM) is therefore an indispensable profession both in India and abroad. Human resources play an important role in creating and maintaining a positive work environment and UK Human Resource Management colleges are suited both for those already working in the field and those who wish to start a career in HRM.
Main HRM functions include manpower planning, recruiting and terminating employees, retention, personnel development through training and performance evaluation, conflict resolution in the workplace and communicating with the workforce at all levels.
Read below to find out about the best universities in UK to study an MSc in Human Resource Management, or start your application by booking your free consultation today.
Why Study Human Resource Management in the UK?
CIPD Accredited Courses
CIPD is the Chartered Institute of Personnel Development. It is the main professional body for HR specialists in the UK and it accredits and awards professional human resources qualifications.
Students applying to study HRM in the UK can choose from several CIPD accredited courses in top UK universities like the University of Manchester and the University of Edinburgh.
Practical Approach to Teaching
UK universities and business schools offer a practice based approach to teaching along with imparting theoretical knowledge. Students get to work on real-world cases and gain valuable insight into actually working in the field. Almost all courses impart knowledge and skills through case studies, a semester of work experience, dissertation and guest speakers and lectures.
Careers in Human Resource Management
Students can take up jobs like human resources officer, human resources manager, training and development officer, HR analyst, occupational psychologist and arbitrator in all major industries and organisations such as NHS, local authorities, consultancy firms, education, media, tourism and banking and finance.
The average salary in the UK after masters in Human Resource Management is around £18,000 for starters and £46,000 for those working in management positions. Students applying for September 2021 entry can benefit from the new post-study work visa or the Graduate Immigration Route which will allow them to live and work in the UK for two years post-completion of their degree.
Best UK Universities for Human Resource Management
London School of Economics and Political Science
The London School of Economics offers MSc Human Resources and Organisations. Students will:
- Develop critical thinking skills along with an understanding of the practical issues that arise within organisations in managing individuals and the workforce.
- Acquire experience and build industry contacts with a real-life project through the Links Scheme.
- Gain core HR knowledge and develop a specialisation in one of the three streams- Human Resource Management (HRM), International Employment Relations (IER) or Organisational Behaviour (OB).
- Graduates now work across a wide range of sectors with employers such as KPMG, Deloitte, American Express, Unilever and PwC
LSE ranking: 2nd in the world for Business and Management and 5th in the world for its reputation with employers.
Edinburgh Business School - University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh Business School offers MSc International Human Resources Management. Students will:
- Study compulsory foundation courses and tailor your studies according to your interest through a selection of elective courses.
- Enjoy the status of being a CIPD qualified graduate, which adds to your credibility and career enhancement.
- Work in professions such as global talent manager, international HR analyst and equality and diversity officer for the government, NGOs, international companies and trade unions.
University of Edinburgh ranking: 4th in the UK for research power and 20th in the world for graduate employability.
Alliance Manchester Business School - University of Manchester
Alliance MBS offers MSc Human Resource Management and Industrial Relations. Students will:
- Develop knowledge of theory as well as real-world practice in both HRM and IR in the UK and worldwide.
- Build an understanding of HRM strategy and practice, labour laws and employment practice and equality and also work on a live case.
- Get a competitive edge in the market with the CIPD approved degree.
- Graduates have been employed by recruiters such as Amazon, Ernst & Young, Nestle, Tesco, Mckinsey and Company and Lloyds.
Alliance MBS ranking: 5th in the UK and 24th in the world for management.
Bath Business School - University of Bath
Bath Business School offers MSc Human Resource Management and Consulting. Students will:
- Study a rare combination of a degree in HRM and Consulting and choose a desired specialisation from a range of electives.
- Develop key consulting skills and work with employers from the beginning of the course to get experience to take into a consulting career.
- Graduates have been recruited by companies such as AlphaSights, EY and Kasikornbank.
University of Bath ranking: 3rd in the world for business and management.
Study Human Resource Management in the UK
If you are interested in studying an MSc in Human Resource Management in the UK, book a free consultation with SI-UK India today. Our expert education counsellors will help you select the right course and will also provide end to end application support.