The UK is one of the best destinations in the world to study, but it is also known for high living costs and it can be tough for Indian students to make their money last to the end of term. This is why it is important to manage your budget while studying in the UK.
Five things to budget before studying in the UK
You are likely to need high quality textbooks when studying, but these books can be expensive. To save money you can:
- Borrow books from the library
- Buy books second-hand from book shops or eBay
- Buy books directly from the university department
Travel is another big expenditure, but you can save big on rail and bus journeys with different types of cards which provide big discounts. Remember booking ahead always saves money as well!
- A 16-25 railcard gives you a 1/3 discount on off-peak rail travel
- An 18+ Student Oyster Card provides 30% off the price of adult-rate travel cards and bus & tram pass season tickets
- A young person’s coach card provides a 1/3 discount on coach fares
Budgeting on food does not just mean living off baked beans! You can save on food by cooking yourself and not only eating takeaways, no matter how cheap you may find them.
Make a meal plan and write a shopping list with all your ingredients. You can then buy in bulk, freeze meals for a later date and also have ingredients left over for a later date. If you want to treat yourself, many restaurants also offer student discounts
Bills such as gas, electricity and water are often included in your accommodation costs if living in halls of residence. If living privately though, remember to do the following:
- Try to use less energy by wrapping up inside
- Ensure you have future costs covered in advance of the bill date
- Compare energy suppliers online and see if you can save by moving to a different tariff
Phone Bills & Internet
Mobile and home phones don’t have to be expensive, and choosing the right package can save you lots.
- Compare deals online to get the best packages
- Overseas calls are expensive, especially if you are using mobile phone from home country. Put a SIM from a UK network into it.
- Choose wisely UK mobile phone network offering international call plans at reduced rates or consider a SIM card specialist in international calls
- Cut the cost of international calling by using services of landline provider offering cheaper call packages
Apply to Study in the UK
If you need further guidance about admission process, scholarship, funding or accomodation service in the UK, arrange a free consultation with SI-UK today.