Media and Communication degree in the UK trains students to face the challenges of ever emerging trends, technologies and debates. It aims at practical preparation for dynamic careers in media-related industries and prepares them to critically analyze the work of media. Students scrutinise and figure out how media reflects, represents and influences the world.
Learn more about the five best communication and media universities in the UK (QS World University Ranking 2018) below. Studying communication and Media in the UK demands the ability to speak and write really well. If you need to improve your English ahead of studying this course, visit our IELTS Language Centre and find a lesson plan and schedule to suit you.
Top 5 UK Universities to Study Communication and Media
- London School of Economics
- The department of media and communication ranked 1 in the UK and 3rd globally (QS World Ranking 2018).
- Provides an intensive, high-quality postgraduate education with a diverse, inter- and multidisciplinary approach to theoretical developments
- Strong links with industries, policymakers and third sector and an intellectually stimulating, well-resourced learning environment.
- Goldsmiths, University of London
- First in the UK for the quality of research (REF 2014), the university provides creative, critical and radical study.
- Houses important research centres in media democracy and political economy and access to media events featuring world-renowned practitioners, thinkers and policymakers
- Visit of industry speakers, events, career fairs, work placement and international exchange programs make university at the forefront in this field.
- Cardiff University
- School of Journalism, Media and Cultural Studies is the Guardian's top rated School for Journalism and Public Relations (2017) and located in the UK’s most affordable University City, Cardiff.
- The School has a strong working relationship with BBC Wales since long and is to move to a state-of-the-art building in Cardiff’s Central Square Development.
- The emphasis of the degrees is academic and analytical.
- Career weeks, workshops, a flourishing Journalism Society, a student media centre, access to Erasmus and Study Abroad schemes are the distinctive features of the school.
- King’s College London
- The Centre for the Study of Media, Communication and Power explores factors changing news provision, political communication, public discourse and media power in digital age.
- The Centre is advised by a range of the world-renowned figure from media.
- The Centre is involved in rigorous empirical research and communication of findings to promote diversity, fairness, transparency and accountability in this field.
- University of Leeds
- The School of Media and Communication is Top 3 in the UK for Communication and Media Studies (Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018)
- The multidisciplinary research has particular strengths in the areas of cultural industries, international communication and political communication
- The school has state-of-the-art facilities and allows the students to tailor their degree as per their strengths and interests.
- Teaching, supervision and support are provided by a combination of media and communication researchers
Jobs in this field are extremely exciting, challenging and powerful and influence people’s views and lives. Constant changes in technology and cultural & social factors have resulted in tremendous growth in media and communication. The median salary of Technical Writers is $70,240 while $65,530 is of News Anchors in May 2017 as per U.S. Bureau of Labour Statistics.
Study Communication and Media in the UK