Many mechanical and electrical engineering students are unaware about the rewarding, challenging and exciting field of Building Services Engineering. With advancements in science and technology, more modern buildings than ever are being erected all over the world and there is a huge demand for graduates in the construction industry. Building services engineers transform lifeless brick and concrete buildings into vibrant, comfortable, safe and environment-friendly operational spaces.
UK universities offer research-informed undergraduate and postgraduate courses in building services engineering to students with math, science and engineering backgrounds.
If you are a science student with remarkable problem-solving, creative and analytical skills, then consider studying building services engineering in the UK. To learn more about the course, admission process and scholarships, arrange a free consultation with SI-UK today.
What do Building Services Engineers do?
As part of an architectural and designing team, engineering the cost-effective sustainable internal environment is the responsibility of building services engineers. They design, install and repair the electrical & mechanical systems, maximise renewable technologies and help design the buildings that consume lowest amount of energy. Their role involves:
- Providing energy efficient heating, ventilation and air-conditioning system
- Provision of Backup support system like power, water & escalators
- Installation of life protection system like fire detection & protection, back up
- routes, lightning protection
- Communication and IT networks
- Energy supply, natural & artificial lighting
- Drainage and plumbing
Careers of Building Services Engineers
A bachelor’s degree supports you to apply for incorporated engineering status while master’s allows you to work in the position of chartered engineer. Internships, placement year and work experiences give advantages to secure a job or promotion to senior roles. You can work in construction companies, facilities management companies, design consultancies & building services contractors, local, state & central government organisations, research institutes, higher education.
Entry requirements for Building Services Engineering
- International Baccalaureate Requirement: 28 points to include math at higher level
- Typical A-Level Offer: BBC including math and science excluding general studies
- Academic Requirement for Post Graduate Course: A 2:2 or above UK Honours degree or equivalent internationally recognised qualification in an engineering, appropriate science or technology subject
- English Speaking Requirements: IELTS overall 6.6 with 6.0 in each element
Best UK Universities to study Building Services Engineering
- Loughborough University
- Heriot-Watt University
- Glasgow Caledonian University
- West of England, Bristol
- Liverpool John Moores University
- Coventry University
- Birmingham City University
- London South Bank University
- Leeds Beckett University
- University of South Wales
- University of Central Lancashire