Our feet take entire body weight and still, they are the most neglected part of our body and easily forgotten when it comes to looking after our health. Foot problems contribute to frequent falls and have an enormous impact on the quality of our life.
What is Podiatry?
Podiatry is a medical speciality that focuses on the diagnosis, treatment, prevention, and management of medical conditions, diseases, defects, and injuries of the foot, ankle, and lower limb.
Feet give the first indication of a circulation problem, nerve disorder, arthritis or diabetes. Podiatry addresses all sorts of foot problems including cracked heels, corns, calluses, ingrown toenails, warts, skin and nail disorders and fungal infections.
What do Podiatrists do?
Podiatrists are uniquely qualified health professionals in a highly flexible and rewarding profession. Qualified Podiatrists are highly in demand across a diverse range of workplaces such as hospitals, private clinics, nursing homes, sports clubs, health centres, etc. They also:
- Perform surgery
- Perform reconstructive surgery and microsurgeries
- Administer sedation and anaesthetics
- Perform complete medical histories and physical examinations
- Prescribe medications
- Set fractures and treat sports-related injuries
- Prescribe and fit orthotics, insoles, casts and prosthetics
- Order and perform physical therapy
- Take and interpret X-rays, ultrasound, MRI and other imaging studies
- Work as valued members of a community’s health care team
What will You study in Podiatry?
- Forensic podiatry
- Sports medicine
- Diabetic limb salvage and wound care
- Reconstructive rearfoot and ankle surgery
- Human Bioscience
- Anatomy of lower limb
- Podiatric Pharmacology
Why Study Podiatry in the UK?
Podiatry study is not well-known in India. UK universities provide you with awareness of the latest medical developments and techniques in Podiatry and modules taught are recognised by Podiatry Professional Bodies. The course will help you to:
- Learn practical skills and theoretical knowledge of treatment of foot and lower-limb complaints and complementary specialities in surgical techniques and mechanical correction of gait and posture
- Acquire essential reflective, critical thinking, reasoning and problem-solving skills for professional practice
- Opportunities to learn the curriculum and stay up to date with podiatry policy and practice to be taught by expert lecturers
- Access high-quality teaching and cutting edge research
- Get support and guidance from specialist practice educators
- Get hands-on –experience with multi-professional teams and practice in NHS
10 UK Universities to Study Podiatry
- University of Brighton
- University of Huddersfield
- University of East London
- Cardiff Metropolitan University
- Glasgow Caledonian University
- University of Southampton
- University of Salford
- Durham University
- Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
- University of Birmingham