Our feet take entire body weight still they are most neglected part of our body and easily forgotten when matter comes to look after our health. Foot problems contribute to frequent falls and have enormous impact on quality of life.
Podiatrists come to your help when foot problem occurs and it is a brilliant career if you're interested in science, biology, chemistry or medicine.
What is Podiatry?
Podiatry is the medical speciality that focuses on the diagnosis, treatment, prevention and management of medical conditions, diseases, defects and injuries of foot, ankle and lower limb.
Feet give first indication of circulation problem, nerve disorder, arthritis or diabetes. Podiatry addresses all sorts of foot problems include cracked heels, corns, calluses, ingrown toenails, warts, skin and nail disorders and fungal infections.
What do Podiatrists do?
Podiatrists are uniquely qualified health professionals in highly flexible and rewarding profession. Qualified Podiatrists are highly in demand across a diverse range of workplaces such as hospitals, private clinics, nursing homes, sports club, and health centres etc. They also:
- Perform surgery
- Perform reconstructive surgery and microsurgeries
- Administer sedation and anaesthetics
- Perform complete medical histories and physical examinations
- Prescribe medications
- Set fractures and treat sports-related injuries
- Prescribe and fit orthotics, insoles, casts and prosthetics
- Order and perform physical therapy
- Take and interpret X-rays, ultrasound, MRI's and other imaging studies
- Work as valued members of a community’s health care team
What you will study in Podiatry?
- Forensic podiatry
- Sports medicine
- Diabetic limb salvage and wound care
- Reconstructive rear foot and ankle surgery
- Human Bioscience
- Anatomy of lower limb
- Podiatric Pharmacology
Why study Podiatry in the UK?
Podiatry study is not well-known in India. UK universities provide you with awareness in latest medical developments and techniques in Podiatry and modules taught are recognised by Podiatry Professional Bodies. The course will help you to:
- Learn practical skills and theoretical knowledge of treatment of foot and lower-limb complaints and complementary specialities in surgical techniques and mechanical correction of gait and posture
- Acquire essential reflective, critical thinking, reasoning and problem-solving skills for professional practice
- Opportunities to learn curriculum and stay up to date with podiatry policy and practice to be taught by expert lecturers
- Access high quality teaching and cutting edge research
- Get support and guidance of specialist practice educators
- Get hands-on –experience with multi-professional team and practice in NHS
10 UK Universities to study Podiatry
- University of Brighton
- University of Huddersfield
- University of East London
- Cardiff Metropolitan University
- Glasgow Caledonian University
- University of Southampton
- University of Salford
- Durham University
- University of Edinburgh
- University of Birmingham
Study Podiatry in the UK