Marine Engineering is an area of engineering focused on the design, development, innovation, production and maintenance of different types of equipment used as part of the internal system of ships and on board sea vessels.
This is a vast field of expertise which combines other engineering disciplines such as electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, engineering design and control technology. The subject also blends into related subjects such as naval architecture, oceanography engineering and nautical science.
What Will I Study in Marine Engineering in the UK?
UK universities that offer Marine Engineering courses work closely with a wide range of scientists such as oceanographers, biologists, marine archaeologists and economists. Courses are informed through these experts and you will:
- Study more advanced subjects related to the design of conventional ships, and the range of machinery and systems introduced through case-study and problem-based learning.
- Study power and electrical systems, transmission and propulsion systems as well as refrigeration and heating systems.
- Gain practical experience through a hands-on module in manufacturing methods.
- Study structures, fluids and thermodynamics, control, mathematics and business.
- Specialise in your chosen discipline in Marine Engineering and Marine System.
Marine Engineering Entry Requirements
- International Baccalaureate: 32
- Typical entry requirements: AAA with Maths & Physics
English Language Requirements
- IELTS 6.5 overall (no individual band less than 6.0)
Careers in Marine Engineering
Graduates in Marine Engineering can work in lots of different settings and industries, including:
- Government, academia or the private sector
- Marine engineering firms
- Naval forces
- Oil and gas industries
- Mineral extraction companies
- Architectural and boat-building firms
- Transportation companies
- Shipyards, ports
- Scientific services
- Marine consultancy
- Survey agencies
Best UK Universities to Study Marine Engineering
- University of Oxford
- Imperial College London
- Plymouth University
- University of Strathclyde
- University of Southampton
- University of Liverpool
- Newcastle University
- University College London
- Liverpool John Moores University
- Robert Gordon University
Study Marine Engineering in the UK
To learn more about Marine Engineering, 2018 Entry Requirements, IELTS requirements, available scholarships or to request an application form, please contact SI-UK India today!