If you want to study in Scotland and be surrounded by the stunning natural beauty of the Scottish Highlands while still living in a modern, happening city, then Glasgow is the place to go be. Scotland’s largest city offers a lot to do and is the perfect blend of old and new with its charming Victorian exterior and bustling city life.
Why Study in Glasgow?
- Glasgow is known for its people and its vibrant social scene. The Scottish people or Scots are known for their welcoming and fun nature. The city offers lots in terms of entertainment. There are several cultural attractions and music events and festivals that happen in the city throughout the year. In fact, Glasgow has been named the UNESCO City of Music. It was also voted as the UK's ‘Top Cultural and Creative City’ in 2019.
- The student-centric city is Scotland’s largest and home to people from all parts of the world. With students coming in from more than120 countries each year, it is a highly sought after study abroad destination in the UK.
- Glasgow has one of the biggest shopping centres in all of the UK, second only to London, making it perfect for buying all things required during student life.
- The city abounds with parks and green spaces and some of the beautiful natural sights in and around the city are the Botanic Gardens, Kelvingrove Park, Glasgow Green and Mugdock Country Park.
- In terms of connectivity, Glasgow offers excellent transport links to all of the UK. The breathtaking Scottish countryside is just 30 minutes away from the city centre and you can visit the famous Loch Lomond National Park. The airport is only 20 minutes away from the city centre.
- Glasgow has a lot of university options for students to pick from that all offer quality teaching and state of the art infrastructure and facilities.
Popular Universities in Scotland
1. University of Glasgow
The University of Glasgow is listed at number four amongst the UK’s oldest universities and universities of the English speaking world. Founded in 1451, the University features in the world’s top 100 universities. A member of the elite Russell Group of universities, the University of Glasgow is made up of four colleges- College of Arts, College of Social Sciences, College of Science and Engineering and College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Science. These colleges offer a large selection of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes to study and top-ranking subjects at the University include Law, Nursing, Accounting & Finance and Sports Science.
The University also ranks highly in terms of employability prospects with 96% of students being in employment or further studies within 6 months of graduating. The University of Glasgow also offers students various scholarships which are based on merit.
2. Glasgow Caledonian University
A dynamic university offering a large number of programmes for students at both undergraduate and postgraduate level, Glasgow Caledonian University (GCU) is a popular choice amongst Indian students applying to study in the UK.
With roots going back to 1825, the University is one of Scotland’s largest universities and has over 20,000 students enrolling to study every year. GCU is one of the more affordable UK universities and is comparatively easier to get into than other Scottish universities such as the University of Glasgow. With campuses in London and New York as well, GCU is an upcoming and enthralling university that is considered as one of the top 10 modern universities in the UK.
There are several scholarships offered at GCU at the undergraduate and postgraduate level and many of them are suitable for Indian students.
3. University of Strathclyde
Located in the middle of Glasgow, the University of Strathclyde is a leading technological university in the UK. Ranked 15th out of over 100 UK universities as per the Guardian University Guide 2021, the University is a highly research-intensive university.
The University of Strathclyde was named ‘University of the Year’ in 2019 by Times Higher Education and it also ranks in the top ten UK universities for employment.
The University offers a range of study programmes in its four faculties – Science, Engineering, Humanities & Social Sciences and the Strathclyde Business School. The University offers various lucrative scholarships to international students ranging from £1,000 - £10,000.
Study in Glasgow
Admissions are open in UK universities for September 2021 intake. Apply to study in these top-rated universities in Glasgow with SI-UK India. To find out more about visa, study programs and scholarships, arrange a free consultation today.
Other Related Articles:
- Studying at the world-class Scottish Higher Education Institutions
- The Best Universities in Scotland
- Studying Fashion and Textiles at the University of Edinburgh