The essence of Genomic Medicine lies in the scientific research that helps us to understand the illness at a molecular level and find out genomic information of an individual for diagnostic and therapeutic decision making as part of their clinical care and health outcomes.
There has been a huge movement in rapid genome sequencing producing massive numbers of new genetic data on individuals. Thus, the demand is continuously rising for bright, energetic and innovative thinkers with multi-disciplinary perspectives on genomics to power the cutting-edge research.
Why Study Genomic Medicine?
It is a rapidly evolving medical discipline that is making an impact in the field of oncology, pharmacology, rare undiagnosed diseases, infectious diseases, and biomedical research.
This is one of the quickest growing areas of biomedical science as the genomic testing opportunities are expanding, affecting more medical conditions and raising new questions and the challenge of developing new treatments through combining drugs and gene therapy along with prevention strategies, is on the new generation of Scientists.
In this evolving landscape, a new era of personalised medicine has emerged to deliver high-quality care for the new generation.
Why Study Genomic Medicine in the UK?
The UK is recognised worldwide as the leader in genomics. Significant research efforts such as 100,000 genome projects in the UK are underway to broaden the understanding of genetic variations causing complex diseases.
There are not enough clinical scientists to meet the need of the workforce. A UK degree in genomic medicine offers uniquely rewarding career opportunities as it will:
- Cover all aspects of genomic science and medicine to equip you with knowledge and skills to interpret and understand genomic data
- Provide a flexible, multidisciplinary and multi-professional perspective applied to clinical practice and medical research
- Ensures delivering high-quality standards and establishes you as a genomic medicine professional applying genomic technologies in clinical practices
- Provides first-hand experience and training in hypothesis-driven research in the most cutting-edge scientific environment
- Gives an opportunity to be taught by scientists, academics and clinical colleagues who are experts in the field
- Benefits you from a comprehensive range of delivery techniques including lectures, tutorials and laboratory-based workshops
Entry Requirements for Genomic Medicine
Academic Requirements: An upper second undergraduate degree in a relevant biomedical subject
English Language Requirements:
- IELTS: Minimum 6.5 overall with 6.0 in each component
- TOEFL: 90 internet-based with 20 in writing
Careers in Genomic Medicine
- Biology teacher
- Hospital Doctor
- Post-Doctoral Fellow
- Research Scientist
- Research Assistant
- Genomic Cognitive Expert
- Genetic & Genomic Data Analyst
- Biochemical Geneticist
- Genetic Counsellor
- Biomedical Engineer
- Clinical Cytogeneticist
Best Universities to Study Genomic Medicine in the UK
- University of Cambridge
- University of Oxford
- Imperial College London
- University College London
- University of Durham
- University of Surrey
- University of St Andrews
- University of Sussex
- University of York
- University of Sheffield