A research-intensive university and a founding member of the Russell Group, the University of Southampton is located in the vibrant city of Southampton on the south coast of England. The port city is a top 15 UK university according to all major UK university league tables. It is also a global top 100 university as per the QS World University Rankings 2021.
Southampton is known as one of the best universities for studying undergraduate and postgraduate Engineering programmes in the UK. It is placed number one for several divisions within the subject and is particularly famous for Civil and Electrical Engineering studies.
Why Study Engineering at Southampton?
- Southampton is ranked #1 in the UK for Civil Engineering and Electrical & Electronic Engineering according to The Guardian University Guide 2021.
- Southampton ranks in the top 10 (#6) for Mechanical Engineering according to the Guide.
- Four Engineering subjects are in the global top 100 according to QS World University Rankings by Subject 2020- Engineering - Mineral & Mining; Civil & Structural Engineering; Electrical & Electronic Engineering and Mechanical, Aeronautical & Manufacturing Engineering.
- Southampton’s Engineering faculty is the only one in the UK to receive the highest rating (5*) across all disciplines according to the latest Research Excellence Framework.
2. Quality Research
The University of Southampton is ranked 8th in the UK for 'research intensity', according to the latest Research Excellence Framework (REF). 96% of the research is considered excellent and world-leading according to the Framework.
The University is also part of the Science and Engineering South Consortium, the most powerful cluster of research-intensive universities in the world.
3. World-Class Facilities
Southampton’s world-class engineering facilities are key to the department’s overall success. Southampton offers over 100 specialist teaching and research laboratories and testing facilities. The University has over 10,000m² of area dedicated for state-of-the-art Engineering laboratories, workshops and testing facilities.
The department also has a new £48m National Infrastructure Laboratory, an Engineering and Design Manufacturing Centre (EDMC), a large anechoic chamber, a Testing and Structures Research Laboratory (TSRL), Geotechnics laboratories, reverberation chambers, a boeing flight simulator, a driving simulator, an X-ray Imaging Centre, a National Centre for Advanced Tribology (nCATS), a drop test rig and excellent student workshops to design, manufacture and test prototypes.
4. Links with Industry
Southampton’s Engineering programmes are aligned with industry to keep students at the forefront of trends. The University works in partnership with several renowned global companies and organisations that offer opportunities to work in industries such as Rolls Royce, Formula 1, Google, Microsoft and Apple. Students learn alongside practitioners and get to start building their professional network while studying.
A range of scholarships is available to international students studying at the Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences at Southampton. Scholarships are offered by the government, the University as well as external organisations. University scholarships range from £1,000 to £9,000.
- Undergraduate Merit Scholarships: These are subject-specific scholarships awarded based on academic merit. Students can get a maximum of £3,000, which will be deducted from the tuition fees.
- Postgraduate Merit Scholarships: These are subject-specific scholarships awarded on the basis of academic merit. Students can get a maximum of £9,000, which will be deducted from the tuition fees.
Government scholarships available for Engineering students include the Chevening Scholarships. These are fully-funded scholarships through which students can study a one-year master’s degree in the UK and develop both professionally and academically.
6. Graduate Employability
The University of Southampton is one of the best UK universities for graduate starting salaries and is ranked 17th for universities targeted by the most number of top employers. 94% of Southampton’s graduates are in further studies or employment within six months from receiving their degrees.
The Southampton Careers Service offers free career advice to all students even post-graduation and the University often invites prospective employers to Open Career Days on campus.
Study at the University of Southampton
Are you interested in learning more or applying to study at the University of Southampton?
- 6 Most Popular Engineering Degrees to Study in UK
- Best Masters for Mechanical Engineers
- Affordable Engineering Universities in UK for Indian Students