The UK is one of the largest financial contributors to United Nations peace operations peacekeeping budget and is determined to provide the best environment to students to study Peace and Security Studies in a global context. As such, some of the best postgraduate Peace and Security Studies are found at UK universities.
What is Master’s in Peace and Security Studies?
Peace and conflict studies is a social science field designed for the students interested in the study of structural mechanism attending conflict affected areas and seeking the constructive ways aiming at the prevention, de-escalation and solutions to create peace. This program addresses violence, inequality, insecurity and instability and other factors to peace & conflict from individual to global issues.
What will you study?
The program consists of multidisciplinary topics such as philosophy, political science, geography, economics, sociology, psychology, international relations, gender studies etc, focusing on law and conflict in global context and contemporary security issues.
Peace and Security Studies Entry Requirements
- Academic Requirements: A good first or upper second class honours degree
- English Language Requirement: IELTS overall 6.5 with no element less than 5.5
Benefits of studying Peace and Security Studies in the UK
This degree will provide you with:
- A range of options offering comprehensive coverage of theories of conflicts, violence and civil wars including implications of strategies of reconciliations and resolutions.
- Methodological training in quantitative and qualitative methods with provision of more advanced skills
- New developed perspective to study causes, dynamics and outcome of conflicts explained by pedagogical and methodological pluralists
- Insights and critical thinking on the recent theoretical developments, research and best policy practices endowed by leading experts
- A valuable learning experience for developing careers in policy making world in government and public service, international organizations, security agencies, media, NGOs or finance
- An excellent foundation for research degree by developing your skills to research and analyse conflicts
- An array of extracurricular activities including public lectures, guest speakers, workshops and conferences and film screening
Careers in Peace and Security Studies
This degree develops transferable skills and is ideal for students who want to have career opportunities making positive changes in international organizations, government, public & private sectors, political risks & financial sectors and professional legal studies. Graduates move on to wider range of roles such as:
- Military Officers
- Member of Intelligence Analysts
- Political Analysts
- University Lecturers
- Police Officers
- Officials in international organizations
- Local Government Administrations
Best Universities to study Peace and Security Studies in the UK
- London School of Economics
- University of Oxford
- University of Cambridge
- University of Manchester
- King’s College London
- Durham University
- SOAS university of London
- University of East Anglia
- University of Edinburgh
- University of St Andrews
Study Peace and Security Studies in the UK