The UK is one of the largest financial contributors to the United Nations peace operations peacekeeping budget. It is determined to provide the best environment for students to study Peace and Security Studies in a global context. Some of the best postgraduate Peace and Security Studies are found at UK universities.
What is a Master’s in Peace and Security Studies?
Peace and conflict studies is a social science field designed for students interested in studying structural mechanisms attending conflict-affected areas and seeking constructive ways to prevent, de-escalate, and create peace. This program addresses violence, inequality, insecurity, instability and other factors to peace & conflict from individual to global issues.
What will you study?
The program consists of multidisciplinary topics such as philosophy, political science, geography, economics, sociology, psychology, international relations, gender studies etc., focusing on law and conflict in the global context and contemporary security issues.
Peace and Security Studies Entry Requirements
- Academic Requirements: A good first or upper second class honours degree
- English Language Requirement: IELTS overall 6.5 with no element less than 5.5
Benefits of Studying Peace and Security Studies in the UK
This degree will provide you with:
- A range of options offering comprehensive coverage of theories of conflicts, violence, and civil wars, including implications of strategies of reconciliations and resolutions.
- Methodological training in quantitative and qualitative methods with the provision of more advanced skills
- New developed perspective to study causes, dynamics and outcomes of conflicts explained by pedagogical and methodological pluralists
- Insights and critical thinking on the recent theoretical developments, research and best policy practices endowed by leading experts
- A valuable learning experience for developing careers in the policy-making world in government and public service, international organisations, security agencies, media, NGOs or finance
- An excellent foundation for a research degree by developing your skills to research and analyse conflicts
- An array of extracurricular activities, including public lectures, guest speakers, workshops and conferences and film screening
Careers in Peace and Security Studies
This degree program develops transferable skills and is ideal for students who want to have a career making positive changes in international organisations, government, public & private sectors, political risks & financial sectors and professional legal studies. Graduates move on to a broader range of roles, such as:
- Military Officers
- Member of Intelligence Analysts
- Political Analysts
- University Lecturers
- Police Officers
- Officials in international organisations
- Local Government Administrations
Best Universities to Study Peace and Security Studies in the UK
- London School of Economics
- University of Oxford
- University of Cambridge
- University of Manchester
- King’s College London
- Durham University
- SOAS University of London
- University of East Anglia
- University of Edinburgh
- University of St Andrews