Are you interested in studying at a UK university, but apprehensive about the expenses incurred for living in the UK? Read below to learn about the living costs for Indian students in the UK and how much a UK university undergraduate or postgraduate degree will cost you.
1. Tuition Fees
Tuition fees constitute the most significant portion of expenses incurred by Indian students in the UK who are required to pay tuition fees at non-EU rates. Moreover, tuition fees in the UK vary according to courses and universities.
Specialist loan advisors and consultants from SI-UK can guide you to successfully secure scholarships and get education loans to finance your study in UK.
2. Accommodation Costs
Accommodation costs depend on the location of the UK university and the type of residence. Living expenses are usually higher in and around London in comparison to other parts of UK. Hence, the actual cost of living for Indian students in UK varies according to their university’s location.
Different types of accommodation include:
- Hall of residence: These are owned and managed by universities and typically include private rooms with shared kitchen and lounge areas catering 4-8 students. Utility bills such as internet, electricity, water, gas etc. are often included in costs.
- Off-campus private: This type of hall of residence also offer shared kitchen and lounge apartments for university students in the UK but are more expensive with modern facilities compared to on-campus accommodation. Rents include utility bills and some living expenses like security and maintenance.
- Private renting: This is popular among students seeking independence or wanting to stay with friends or family. However, such accommodation is more expensive and does not include any utility bills in rent.
The average accommodation costs for students in the UK range between £180 to £360 per month depending on the type of residence and facilities offered. You can book a suitable residence in UK with our Accommodation service and make your stay in UK a pleasant one.
3. Living Expenses
Your lifestyle, choice of accommodation and spending habits will impact your living expenses in UK. Transportation and travelling, food expenses, electricity, water, gas, wifi and other utility bills, books and library fees, groceries, laundry services, security, insurance, maintenance costs and leisure and entertainment expenses together constitute the living costs in UK.
What are the average living expenses for Indian Students?
- For Indian students staying in London, an average of £1,265 per month is required as living expenses according to UKVI
- Indian students staying in other parts of UK require a minimum of £1,015 per month as living expenses
- Annual living costs for Indian students in UK may therefore come up to £12,000 - £15,000 in addition to their tuition fees
Learn more about budgeting your expenses and cutting down on living costs while studying in UK here.
4. UK Student Visa Fee for Indian students
Study visa fee is another component of your education cost in UK. Visa fees are based on the duration of your course in UK and a Tier 4 study visa for a long term course in a UK university costs around £348. The Visa application service at SI-UK will increase your likelihood of securing a study visa to UK with expert guidance and advice from our visa experts.
Apply to a UK University
With SI-UK’s free Application Support Service, we can maximise your chances of being accepted at a UK university and move closer to getting your dream education.