A career in IT is considered one of the most high-paying jobs, considering India’s prowess in the IT industry across the globe. Like other professions, there is no shortcut to success though and to maximise your chances of exposure before and after starting your course, you should do the following:
Pre Requisite Skills
Any engineering graduate should posses some basic skills in order to be successful:
- Get your basics right and strengthen your fundamentals.
- Look at the practical applications of your concept.
- Look at what the business is doing as well as the latest happening in the industry.
- Network with people.
- Publish papers/Write.
- Go beyond your books and do some research.
- Do something interesting which no one in your class has ever thought of doing with computer science.
- Do a project with a company.
- Build on your communication skills, grooming and your personality and soft skills.
Skills to be enhanced
It is frankly worthless to study Computer Science if any computer graduate does not master the logical and analytical skills because Computer Engineering is all about coding, logic and understanding Algorithms, Data Structures and CS theory. So labour on:
- Good Programming skills in any one language - preferably object oriented
- Strong Data Structures and Algorithms skills.
- Basic web development - hosting your own site with a database ( mySQL etc ) on a server.
- Write Neat, Simple and Modular code. Practice more and more.
- Contribute to Open source Projects - Learn how to use github, fork projects, contribute patches and maintain code.
- Basics of Machine Learning.
- Learn to make a very basic operating system.
- Open and assemble the components of a computer - know what each component does and how they fit in together.
- Learn how computer networks work; create a basic usable chat application.
- Basics of security, vulnerabilities and cryptography.
By doing computer science, a wide area of reputed jobs open instantly such as Computer Communications Specialist, Computer Engineer, Consultants, Database Administrator, Data Communication Analyst, Professor, Research Analyst, System and Security Administrator, Software publishers, Computer systems design and related services.
Study Computer Science
So choose the path which calls you more. Set goals because this will be huge decision in your life. Just remember, if you are thorough in your knowledge and have gained expertise in your sphere, your dream salary package will follow you where ever you go.
All the best!