Film making is highly innovative and versatile by nature. It is the craft of storytelling and blending technical and creative abilities to inform and entertain. Film Studies courses at UK universities focus on the cultural, political and historical context of film making. Taught undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Film Studies in the UK will enhance your film industry-relevant skills.
Learn more about some of the best universities in the UK to study film below, and apply with SI-UK today.
Top 5 UK Universities to Study Film Studies in the UK
Course to consider: BSc (Hons) Communication and Media Studies
- Top 5 in the UK for overall students’ satisfaction (NSS2016)
- A multidisciplinary approach enables students to explore different aspects of media and communication & research methods
- Provide specialist skills for critical viewing of television, documentaries and film, debates, media and social change, social research methods, advertising and public relations
University of Warwick
Course to consider: Film Studies BA (Hons)
- Traditional focus on film analysis, theory and history to develop your understanding of the culturally significant art forms and institutions of film and television
- Students and staff are engaged with film and television through advanced research, debating, writing, blogging and screening films in cinema clubs
- An opportunity to apply for a place on a specialist film production module in delivered exclusively by the world-renowned London Film School
University of Kent
Course to consider: Film- BA (Hons)
- Arts at Kent (including Film) was ranked 1st in the UK for research power in the REF2014
- One of the largest European centres for the study of film. It has an established reputation going back 35 years.
- Media and Film Studies at Kent was ranked 3rd overall in The Guardian University Guide 2018.
Queen Mary University of London
Courses to consider: Film studies and Comparative literature and film studies
- Film studies at Queen Mary was rated highly in terms of overall student satisfaction (96%) and in terms of the quality of teaching across the programme (96%)(Recent NSS Surveys).
- London is home to the National Film Theatre, British Film Institute and the London Film Festival, as well as to major film premières and art-house cinema venues. The location is another obvious advantage.
- Staff have expertise, most notably in British and North American cinema, and in French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish and Russian filmmaking.
King's College London
Courses to consider: Digital culture and Film Studies
- The Film Studies Department is one of the best places to study film in the UK, and the department receives consistently high rankings in league tables (2nd in 2014, 1st in 2013, 1st in 2012 Guardian tables).
- King’s close proximity will put you within easy reach of the IMAX, the BFI Southbank, the British Film Institute Library and a large concentration of cinemas.
- World-leading research extends across European cinema, North American cinema, World cinema especially East Asian film, cultural history and critical history.
Apply to study Film in the UK
Do you want to study film and media in the UK? If so arrange a free consultation at your nearest SI-UK office in Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore or Chennai today.