UK Visas and Immigration offers a new fast-track visa for STEM subjects’ students
21 August 2019
The UK Visas and Immigration is going to launch a new-fast track immigration offer for selected individuals with exceptional & specialist skills in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) subjects. This initiative is building on the existing Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa route ensuring that the individuals with extraordinary skills in STEM subjects can come and work, study and live in the UK.
The Home Office, together with the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy and the scientific community is keen on taking this initiative so that the specialist and skilled cohort of individuals can come to the UK and make an important contribution to the country’s leading science and research sector thus enhancing the intellectual and knowledge base of the UK, significantly.
Special features of the new fast-track immigration offer
- The new scheme will be open to both EU and non-EU nationals and top priority will be given to those with the highest skills and the greatest talents.
- The new scheme will provide eligible individuals with a three-year visa, during which they can come and go from the UK at will.
- At the end of three years, those on the scheme would be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain (giving a permanent right to reside in the UK and access to benefits and healthcare on the same basis as British citizens).
- No minimum salary requirement and individuals do not need to secure a job before arriving in the UK
- Individuals will be able to bring dependants (spouses/partners and children), with adult dependants having full access to the labour market.