Consultants are hired by companies in order to resolve a specific issue they are facing in order to maximize growth and improve business performance. A consultant identifies and assesses key problem areas and recommends suggestions in order to improve them. Consultants bring specialist skills in business strategy, manufacturing, finance, human resource, marketing, information technology (IT).
- Analytical skills: Employers look for graduates with the ability to gather information, analyze it in detail, and come to a conclusion
- Leadership skills: As a consultant you will be constantly growing which means you could be managing a staff or team within a few years
- Problem-solving skills: One of the key skills a consultant must have is the ability to solve problems using available data or sometimes even create data where it’s not available
- Communication skills: Consulting firms look for consultants who can handle clients in difficult circumstances. Sometimes a consultant could be working with top CEO or sometimes with factory workers, so strong communication skills with the ability to build relationships is a must
- Technical skills: Some consulting companies require skills in advanced excel, data modeling, VBA, or SQL. Programming skills such as C and big data languages such as Hadoop and Python are also popular for extracting and analyzing data
Top consulting courses
Consulting firms do require for you to hold a degree but they do not specify which ones because candidates from all backgrounds are required. Having a degree in engineering, maths, science, statistics, finance, business, big data, or science is an added advantage but there are some programs which prepare students specifically for a career in consultancy.
- MSc Business (Consulting) (University of Warwick)
- MSc Business Analytics (Imperial College London)
- MSc Management and Strategy (London School of Economics)
- MSc Business Technology Consulting (Henley Business School
- MSc Management Consulting (University of Leeds)
- MSc Management Consultancy and organisational change (Birkbeck, University of London)
- MSc in Human Resource Management and Consulting (University of Bath)
- MSc Business Analysis & Consulting (University of Strathclyde)
- MSc Business Analysis and Consultancy (University of Hertfordshire)
- MSc Strategic Marketing and Consulting (University of Birmingham)
- MSc Management Consultancy (Birmingham City University)
An MBA degree or a degree in finance also prepare for a career in consultancy.
Top employers in the UK
- A.T Kearney
- Bain & Company
- Charles River Associates
- FTI Consulting
- Hymans Robertson
- Ernst & Young
- FTI Consulting
- McKinsey & Company
- Oliver Wyman
- Roland Berger
If you need further help to start your career as a consultant and need advise for the courses above, send us an email at: email@example.com or arrange a free consultation.